Citrus fruits are one of the most cultivated fruits in the world, thanks to their high nutritional value, mainly in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Among the main citrus fruits we can find the orange, persian lime, lemon, grapefruit and tangerine.
Citrus fruits are produced almost all over the world, thanks to the fact that the necessary conditions for their cultivation are relatively easy to find.
Mexico ranks fourth in citrus fruit producers, only behind Brazil, China and the United States.
Although citrus fruit can be grown almost anywhere in the world, FAO data suggest that around 79% of this type of fruit is produced in the Northern Hemisphere.
This happens thanks to the fact that the warm conditions are ideal for the cultivation of citrus fruits, and although its cultivation is also possible in cold climates, it requires special attention.
Although about 80 percent of all citrus fruits are produced in the Northern Hemisphere, Brazil is the world's largest producer, despite being in the Southern Hemisphere.
India is positioned as the fifth largest citrus producer in the world, but it leads in the production of lemons; Brazil the one for oranges; China in tangerines; and the United States in grapefruits.
The production of citrus fruits in Mexico reaches almost 7 million tons annually, with oranges representing about 65 percent of the total.
The process to produce citrus fruits products, like juice, is as follows:
1. The best fruits from the harvest are selected.
2. The citrus fruits to be used for juice making are washed.
3. The peel is removed to obtain the juice, as well as to separate important parts of the fruit, such as pulp or peel, to use them differently.
4. The juice is subjected to the pasteurization process.
5. Finally, the citrus fruits products are placed in their final packaging for distribution.
Enjoy the benefits of these citrus fruits products with your favorite flavors:
Consuming citrus fruits products greatly benefits people's health as they are an important source of vitamins and minerals. Among the benefits provided by these kind of fruits are:
• They protect the digestive system.
• They control cholesterol and uric acid levels.
• They help maintain healthy skin.
• They can help prevent diabetes.
• They strengthen the immune system.
• They detoxify the body.
Citrus fruits products, like juice, can be used in various recipes, especially for dishes such as desserts or salads. Additionally, they can be used to prevent food from oxidizing, add aroma and flavor to dishes, and even give shine and cleanliness to kitchen utensils such as pots.
It is important to store citrus fruits products in a refrigerator or in cool environments to prevent oxidation and bacterial growth. Additionally, it is essential to avoid exposure to heat and direct sunlight, as they can decrease the quality of the citrus fruits products.